The holiday season is a fun and exciting time full of decorating, gift buying, hosting, and partying. Not be to a Scrooge, but, do you ever think the increased safety risks? With more vehicles on the road, increased alcohol consumption, adverse winter weather conditions, and fire hazards (electrical cords, holiday trees, decorations and cooking).
The year-end holiday season: Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, and New Year’s is a prime time for fires and other accidents. Unfortunately, during this year’s holiday travel period, nearly 27,900 Americans will be seriously injured in auto accidents, & more than 250 will die.
Here are some more things you can do to prevent these types of incidents:
• Keep matches, candles, and lighters out of children’s reach
• Have a designated driver available or a transportation service for those that may have had too much to drink
• Select a place where the tree does not block a door or hallway and is well away from stoves and fireplaces
• Prior to putting electric lights on the tree, inspect each string to make sure that there are no cracked or broken sockets and they are working properly
• Do not overload outlets or run extension cords under carpets or across doorways
• Use approved, grounded outdoor extension cords. When leaving your home or going to bed, be sure to turn off all your holiday lights
Rolyn's PSA is a Priority Service Agreement that puts pricing, billing, and response logistics in place before services are needed. It allows you to make a decision about prices and capabilities before a disaster strikes, instead of in the chaotic midst of a disaster or emergency situation.